In recent years, dental veneers have become an increasingly popular option for individuals looking to enhance the look and feel of their smiles. Veneers offer a custom solution to a wide variety of cosmetic dental concerns, including dullness, discoloration, stains, gaps, chips, and more. They are known for being incredibly durable, meaning they’re less likely to chip or break off than other comparable options (like dental bonding), and they are designed to last for decades.
At Gonzales Dental, we offer porcelain veneers for patients wishing to improve the appearance of their smiles. Placing veneers is a highly technical process. Our dental professionals have extensive experience designing and placing custom porcelain veneers, as well as a keen attention to detail that you can trust. Our goal is to match and enhance each individual patient’s unique characteristics so that they can feel confident in every situation.
If you would like to learn more about our porcelain veneer services in Gonzales, contact us online or call our office at (830) 971-0268 and speak to a friendly, knowledgeable member of our team.
Dental veneers, also known as teeth veneers, are ultra-thin ceramic shells that are applied and bonded directly to the outer (i.e., front) surfaces of the teeth. This is a cosmetic procedure, meaning it is generally elective and not medically necessary.
Dental veneers are frequently used to treat and correct a range of issues, including but not limited to:
- Undesired tooth appearance
- Crooked teeth
Although some types of veneers can be readjusted, this is typically considered to be a permanent procedure. Additionally, veneers are generally more expensive than dental bonding. As a result, choosing to have veneers placed is a big decision. Our dental professionals can help you review all of your options and determine if this is the right solution for you.
What Are the Two Types of Dental Veneers?
There are two different types of dental veneers:
- Porcelain veneers
- Composite resin veneers
While both options have their own sets of pros and cons, porcelain veneers are the more permanent option, though they may need to be replaced at some point. Porcelain veneers are designed to last for more than a decade; with the proper care, they can last even longer.
At Gonzales Dental, we offer top-quality porcelain veneers crafted with exceptional materials that have been proven to be extremely durable, advanced, and long-lasting. Importantly, in the event that one of your porcelain veneers breaks or becomes damaged, we can most often replace the single damaged veneer.
Our porcelain veneers are extremely thin and essentially undetectable. They are also designed to be highly resistant to stains and discoloration caused by coffee, tea, cigarette smoke, and other sources. With a greater resemblance to natural, healthy tooth enamel, porcelain veneers are the go-to choice for patients wishing to enhance the appearance of their smile.
How Are Veneers Placed?
Before veneers can be placed, you will need to participate in a consultation with your dentist. During this consultation, we can provide our professional recommendations based on a thorough dental examination and diagnosis of existing cosmetic and health concerns. We may take x-rays to obtain a clear picture of your current oral health, as well as impressions of your teeth. During the consultation, we will also discuss possible alternatives and the limitations of veneers so that you can make the best, most informed choice about your oral health.
Once you have made the choice to have porcelain veneers placed, the process will occur in two primary steps:
- Preparation: Preparing for porcelain veneers involves the removal of about half a millimeter of enamel (approximately the same thickness as the veneer that will be placed) from the surface of the tooth. This is done with the use of local anesthesia to ease discomfort. The next step in preparing for veneer placement involves taking an impression of the tooth to create a model that can be used to craft a custom veneer. The veneer will be made in a lab off-site and may take anywhere from two to four weeks to be completed.
- Bonding: Once the veneer has been made, the next step is bonding. First, your dentist will place the veneer temporarily to ensure that the color and fit are correctly matched to your smile. This may involve some adjusting and trimming. Then, your dentist will prepare your tooth by thoroughly cleaning it, polishing it, and etching it to roughen up its surface and promote bonding. Your dentist will then apply a specialized cement to the veneer before carefully placing it on your tooth and using a blue light or laser to quickly harden the cement and bond the veneer to your tooth. Lastly, your dentist will make final adjustments, as well as evaluate your veneer’s appearance and your bite.
Most often, your dentist will request that you return for one or more follow-up visits to ensure that everything is working properly and that your gums are responding well to your veneer. During these follow-up appointments, your dentist may once again check the placement of your veneer, as well as your bite and other related issues.
Caring for Your Porcelain Veneers
It is very important that you properly care for your veneers. With the right at-home care, porcelain veneers can last well over a decade, but good oral hygiene is key.
Caring for your veneers includes:
- Daily brushing and flossing
- Avoiding abrasive toothpastes
- Limiting coffee, smoking, and other foods/activities that can cause stains
- Regular visits to the dentist for routine examinations and teeth cleanings
Even with excellent care, porcelain veneers will almost certainly need to be replaced eventually. However, by practicing good oral hygiene and regularly seeing your dentist, you can increase the lifespan of your veneers and avoid unsightly stains and discoloration.
Call us today at (830) 971-0268 or contact us online to learn more about our Gonzales porcelain veneer services.
Interested in Dental Financing?
We are committed to offering quality services at an affordable price for you and your family. Enroll in our financing options so you can save and smile!
Schedule Your Next Exam
Keep up to date with your dental hygiene! Visit our office for your regular cleaning exams.
Step 1 of 6Request an Appointment
"A great and warm dental place that feels like home. He is very experienced and welcoming and does his best to make it a pain-free experience. I would definitely do any dental work for me and the family at Gonzales Dental."
Fri, Sat & Sun